11.19.2009

Psalm 109: read the whole thing it isn't that long.

So you've probably heard about the Psalm 109:8 merchandise on CafePress. Here is what I think.

The people who buy this merchandise are defining themselves as the people David (the Psalmist) is talking about in verses 1-5, 20 of the same Psalm and therefore I guess that means Barack is David.

Psalm 109

Prayer for Vindication and Vengeance To the leader. Of David. A
Psalm.

1Do not be silent, O God of my praise.
2For wicked and deceitful mouths are opened against me, speaking
against me with lying tongues.
3They beset me with words of hate, and attack me without cause.
4In return for my love they accuse me, even while I make prayer for
them.*
5So they reward me evil for good, and hatred for my love.
6They say,‘Appoint a wicked man against him; let an accuser stand on his right.
7When he is tried, let him be found guilty; let his prayer be counted
as sin.
8May his days be few; may another seize his position

9May his children be orphans, and his wife a widow.


Later, he wishes all the evil they speak against him in verses 6-19 to be visited upon them in verse 20

20May that be the reward of my accusers from the Lord, of those who speak evil against my life.

It is sort of a biblical "I'm rubber you're glue" kinda thing.
Just more evidence these nutjobs can't or won't understand and/or read the Bible.

3 comments:

J. Patrick Smith said...

I saw your comment on USA Today and followed your link. Why? Because your exegesis of Psalm 109 is spot on. The Jewish Publication Society's rendering of this verse makes it even clearer then the translations used by most of us Protestants.
I first became aware of the Psalm 109 issue yesterday, when a friend posted a "Pray for Obama Psalm 109:8" comment on facebook.
Being a concerned Christian, who gets more then a little upset when anyone uses a passage of scripture out of context, I immediately went to Psalm 109 and read the whole thing. My response was, "if you pray verse 8, you're asking God to reward you with verse 28: "They may curse, but you will bless; when they attack they will be put to shame, but your servant will rejoice."
The 3rd Commandment, not taking the Lord's name in vain, is not merely about using the Lord's name as a curse. It's a prohibition against saying God has spoken when he has not. Taking this verse (Ps. 109:8) out of context in order to push a political agenda is the very height and depth of vanity.
I personally don't approve of our current president's administration and will do all in my power to prevent his election to a second term. Until then, I am commanded to pray FOR the man not AGAINST him. I don't have to hate the man simply because I revile his policies.

JosefK said...

nice comment. you really know your bible. sorry we don't agree on policy but feel free to come back and comment more whenever you like.

Steve said...

No. Psalm 109:8 is correct. I'm sure Hitler's disciples would probably have quoted verses 1-5 etc as well. In the final analysis, God alone put Barack in power, much to the detriment of our country. That said, I fully accept God's placement of this antichrist (note the little 'a') as punishment of our nation.